Photojournalism relies on an image that tells a story or documents people affected by an event or a situation. The image should clearly make one point or convey a message. Good composition would greatly enhance the conveying of the story. To comply with the spirit of a traditional ‘photo journalism‘ competition, the following points should be considered when capturing and submitting your image for this competition:
- subjects or circumstances contained within the images image must not be staged or re-acted
- the integrity of the captured image should be maintained by not making any material changes;
- all individuals photographed should be treated with respect and dignity. Special considerations should be given to vulnerable subjects and compassion to victims of crime or tragedy
- images must comply with the editing criteria outlined below.
Model releases are not required for this competition.
Restricted Editing – The submitted image must be a true representation of the captured subject. Only basic post-processing is permitted such as cropping, tone and colour adjustment. Selective adjustments or pixel modifications are not permitted. Elements in the images cannot be added or removed. Dodging,burning, gradient filters and vignetting are not permitted. Other post processing techniques not permitted are composite, HDR, stitching, using filters, applying textures, focus stacking and infrared.
IMPORTANT NOTE – For this competition, the entrant must preserve the original JPG or RAW formatted files containing the metadata details.Submitted image must not contain any watermarks, name of the image or name of the photographer.Colour or black & white or monochrome images are permitted.
- Images should be in JPEG format, maximum 1400 pixels on the horizontal x 1050 on the vertical in size,
- Note: One of the dimensions must be exactly the maximum allowed size (either 1400 or 1050 pixels).
- sRGB colour space and have a maximum file size of 1.8 MB
- Maximum number of submissions per VCC member is two
The CAPA Photo Journalism Competition will be open for submissions on July 11th, 2017 and will close on November 15th, 2017.