CAPA has reverted to the traditional "black and white" from the "monochrome" definition they used last year (in 2022).
A black and white image can range from black, or very dark gray, to white, or very light gray, with various shades of the grayscale in between.
There are four themes this year:
- Person(s) - traditional or casual portraits, can include environment or workspace. Dramatic high and low key images are permitted. Photographers are reminded that they must endeavour to "treat all subjects with respect and dignity." Special consideration should be given to the vulnerable and to victims of crime or tragedy. Intrusion into private moments of grief is permitted only when the public has an overriding and justifiable need to see.
- Architecture - human construction taken from inside or outside in both rural and urban settings.
- Dilapidated - images of abandoned aircraft, boats, buildings, ships, structures, trains and vehicles.
- Landscape - images of subjects such as weather phenomena, geological formations, landscapes, seascapes, natural phenomena and astronomical objects and events.
“Hand-of-man” is permitted in all theme categories.
Open editing is allowed: all in-camera, on-camera and post-capture techniques, including removing elements, cloning, double exposure, stacking, HDR, and ICM. As always, the photographer must have taken all the images used. Digital frames, pin-lines, borders and mats are not permitted.
Infrared images ARE permitted in this competition.
Artificial intelligence (AI) renderings generated via text prompt may not be used in whole or part in the creation of a submitted image.
VCC members may enter two images as Club images. The Club may enter only 6 images from 6 different photographers. Identifying the theme in which your image should be entered is helpful to the Competition Committee.
The DEADLINE for submission of images to VCC in the Club category is October 15, 2023, midnight PDT.
Individual CAPA members may enter a maximum of 3 images, in one or more themes. The CAPA deadline for individual submissions is November 15 at midnight, Ontario ST.
- Images should be in JPEG format, maximum 1400 pixels on the horizontal x 1050 on the vertical in size.
Note: One of the dimensions must be exactly the maximum allowed size (either 1400 or 1050 pixels).
Portrait images will have a vertical height of 1050 pixels. Square images will be 1050 pixels on all sides.
sRGB colour space is recommended by CAPA. Images should have a maximum file size of 1.8 MB
- Maximum number of submissions per VCC member is two.
Please preserve your image’s RAW formatted files, should CAPA request them.
See CAPA Black & White Competition for More Information
This year the club tied for 18th place out of 52 clubs. See the gallery
In 2018, this competition was restricted to black and white images, whereas in 2019 it will be changed to Monochrome as defined above. The VCC won a fourth place Honourable Mention in 2018. see the gallery
--to see a full image size slideshow, hover cursor over an image then click on the "Expand" icon on the right of the filmstrip--